The 2016 Alex Fund Benefit event in New York
October 13, 2016
Our guests at the 2016 Alex Fund benefit event joined us on October 13:
1. To experience Romanian director Cristian Mungiu’s most recent film Graduation (“Bacalaureat”) in the company of other discerning film lovers. Ethan Hawke moderated the Q&A discussion and hosted the After Party, and
2. To directly support OvidiuRo’s 2017 activities designed to facilitate the national expansion of the Fiecare Copil in Gradinita law.
View trailer, here.
In Graduation, a father takes desperate measures to make sure his daughter gets to college.
Tickets sold at the Alex Fund benefit help real children get access to preschool and begin their educational journey with the skills they need to succeed.
What film festival critics are saying about Graduation:
Mungiu, who won the Palme d’Or for ‘4 Months, 3 Weeks & 2 Days’, returns to Cannes with a morality play centered around an overbearing dad keen to get his daughter into a British university at any price.
The Hollywood Reporter
A masterly, complex movie of psychological subtlety and moral weight.
The screening and Q&A was followed by a reception at The Wild Horses of Sable Island Art Gallery, 64 Grand St., NY.
To raise funding and awareness, especially among Romanian-Americans, AF has periodic theater and cinema events in N.Y. Click here to receive our Event Announcements.
- November 24, 2014 Screening: Seymour: an Introduction with Ethan Hawke and Seymour Bernstein Q&A session at the IFC Center
- June 5, 2013 An evening with Andrew Solomon: Ethan Hawke interviewed the celebrated author in his landmark townhouse in Greenwich Village.
- October 30, 2012 Theatre benefit: with Ethan Hawke, Joely Richardson, Juliet Rylance CANCELLED DUE TO SUPERSTORM SANDY.
- January 19, 2011 Theater Row: featuring Blood from a Stone, by Tommy Nohilly and starring Ethan Hawke, followed by a reception with delicious Romanian food.
- August 14, 2010 The Alex fund Summer Gala
- February 19, 2010 Theater Benefit: A Lie of the Mind, by Sam Shepard, produced by The New Group and directed by Ethan Hawke.
- February 8, 2009 Theater Benefit: The Winter’s Tale, produced by The Bridge Project at the Brooklyn Academy of Music, directed by Sam Mendes.
- November 9, 2007 Theater Benefit: The Things We Want, by Jonathan Marc Sherman, produced by The New Group and directed by Ethan Hawke.
- June 4, 2007 Screening of The Fever, starring Vanessa Redgrave, with special presentations by Vanessa to The Alex Fund , UNHCR and UNICEF.
- March 29, 2007 Theater Benefit: The Year of Magical Thinking, with Vanessa Redgrave, and dinner following at the home of Ethan and Ryan Hawke.
- February 24, 2007 Theater Benefit featuring The Fever, written by and starring Wallace Shawn with after-party at Zanzibar.
- April 6, 2006 Theater Benefit: Living Room in Africa, produced byThe Edge Theater and directed by Carolyn Cantor, with after-party at Zanzibar.
- May 9, 2005 Book party and silent auction at the Nemati Collection Gallery in New York, celebrating Romania Redux by Dan Dimancescu and honoring the work of The Alex Fund.
- March 15, 2005 Theater Benefit: HurlyBurly, by David Rabe, produced by The New Group and starring Ethan Hawke, with a post-theatre party at the West End Café.
- January 10, 2005 USAID Dinner at the Kimmel Center at New York University, honoring Leslie Hawke.
- November 12, 2004 Benefit Dinner: Century Club, honoring Ambassador Michael Guest, and hosted by Andrei Codrescu.
- November 7, 2003 Theater Benefit featuring Henry IV, by William Shakespeare, starring Ethan Hawke at Lincoln Center, followed by dinner at the home of Mark and Dana Nelson.
- May 13, 2003 Theater Benefit: A Long Day’s Journey Into Night, starring Vanessa Redgrave and Brian Dennehy, followed by dinner at the home of Andrew Solomon.