On January 22nd, supporters of The Alex Fund – old friends and new – gathered for a thrilling performance of Sam Shepard’s iconic play “True West”, starring Ethan Hawke & Paul Dano, on Broadway.
Thanks to our donors and the Roundabout Theatre, $20,700 was raised to provide thousands of rural Romanian children with their very own copy of the children’s classic Brown Bear, Brown Bear, What Do You See? (Ursule brun, ursule brun, tu ce vezi?) — and their teachers with tips on how to effectively use picture books to whet children’s appetites for learning to read.
To raise funding and awareness, especially among Romanian-Americans, AF has periodic theatre and cinema events in N.Y.
- February 22, 2019 Theater Benefit: True West, by Sam Shepard, starring Ethan Hawke & Paul Dano, followed by an exclusive post-performance reception with the cast
- October 13, 2016 Screening: Graduation with Ethan Hawke and Cristian Mungiu at IFC Center, NYC
- November 24, 2014 Screening: Seymour: an Introduction with Ethan Hawke and Seymour Bernstein Q&A session at the IFC Center
- June 5, 2013 An evening with Andrew Solomon: Ethan Hawke interviewed the celebrated author in his landmark townhouse in Greenwich Village.
- October 30, 2012 Theatre benefit: with Ethan Hawke, Joely Richardson, Juliet Rylance CANCELLED DUE TO SUPERSTORM SANDY.
- January 19, 2011 Theater Row: featuring Blood from a Stone, by Tommy Nohilly and starring Ethan Hawke, followed by a reception with delicious Romanian food.
- August 14, 2010 The Alex fund Summer Gala
- February 19, 2010 Theater Benefit: A Lie of the Mind, by Sam Shepard, produced by The New Group and directed by Ethan Hawke.
- February 8, 2009 Theater Benefit: The Winter’s Tale, produced by The Bridge Project at the Brooklyn Academy of Music, directed by Sam Mendes.
- November 9, 2007 Theater Benefit: The Things We Want, by Jonathan Marc Sherman, produced by The New Group and directed by Ethan Hawke.
- June 4, 2007 Screening of The Fever, starring Vanessa Redgrave, with special presentations by Vanessa to The Alex Fund , UNHCR and UNICEF.
- March 29, 2007 Theater Benefit: The Year of Magical Thinking, with Vanessa Redgrave, and dinner following at the home of Ethan and Ryan Hawke.
- February 24, 2007 Theater Benefit featuring The Fever, written by and starring Wallace Shawn with after-party at Zanzibar.
- April 6, 2006 Theater Benefit: Living Room in Africa, produced byThe Edge Theater and directed by Carolyn Cantor, with after-party at Zanzibar.
- May 9, 2005 Book party and silent auction at the Nemati Collection Gallery in New York, celebrating Romania Redux by Dan Dimancescu and honoring the work of The Alex Fund.
- March 15, 2005 Theater Benefit: HurlyBurly, by David Rabe, produced by The New Group and starring Ethan Hawke, with a post-theatre party at the West End Café.
- January 10, 2005 USAID Dinner at the Kimmel Center at New York University, honoring Leslie Hawke.
- November 12, 2004 Benefit Dinner: Century Club, honoring Ambassador Michael Guest, and hosted by Andrei Codrescu.
- November 7, 2003 Theater Benefit featuring Henry IV, by William Shakespeare, starring Ethan Hawke at Lincoln Center, followed by dinner at the home of Mark and Dana Nelson.
- May 13, 2003 Theater Benefit: A Long Day’s Journey Into Night, starring Vanessa Redgrave and Brian Dennehy, followed by dinner at the home of Andrew Solomon.