Today, as the Agency for Early Education, OvidiuRo’s main mission is to mobilize public and private resources to ensure that quality early education is available to Romania’s poorest children.
The effectiveness of OvidiuRo’s Fiecare Copil în Grădiniţă (FCG) pilot project led the Romanian Parliament to finance its parent incentive component throughout Romania in 2016. Since the passage of “the FCG Law”, Romania has seen an increase in the attendance of disadvantaged children. In the 2017-2018 school year, 46,000 children were registered and 32,000 were benefiting from daily attendance and food coupons.
OvidiuRo now focuses on providing high-quality education materials, training teachers in how to optimize these new resources, and creating “Hubs for Literacy & Quality Early Education” in disadvantaged areas.
Starting September 2017, with the support of individuals and businesses operating in Romania, we have been able to distribute over 60,000 picture books for children to use in class & to take home and share with the rest of their family; train the teachers of over 60,000 children in how to maximize the educational lessons provided in those books – opportunities to practice counting, name animals, learn new vocabulary and good personal hygiene habits, and choose healthy foods over junk food; engage some 5000 parents (often barely literate themselves) in read-aloud activities.
Through OvidiuRo’s partnerships with County School Inspectorates and the creation of a Master Teacher Network, 2,500 preschool teachers were trained in child-centered teaching methods and received classroom education kits as well as individual picture books – both to use in class and for children to take home.
- 1400 children participated in reading aloud activities in kindergarten during our Read Aloud Caravan
- 100 kindergartens held 10-week ‘Sotron Doi’ programs to introduce 1000 two-year-old children and their mothers to gradinita.
- 600 volunteer (i.e., unreimbursed) teachers taught 3600 children in Sotron Summer Programs in 250 rural communities.
- 90 classrooms received an “OvidiuRo KinderLibrary” consisting of a ‘child-friendly’ bookcase and age-appropriate and curriculum-related picture books.
- 50 classrooms got Povești sub Lupă science and reading corners.
- Hai la gradinita! Grants helped 6 communities to make room for ALL their preschool-age children.
As the Agency for Early Education, OvidiuRo continues to work closely with public officials and kindergarten staff to provide outstanding teacher training and educational resources of the highest quality. Our objective for 2019 is to reach more Kindergartens across Romania through the national ‘Every Child Deserves a Story’ pilot program, which aims to improve children’s vocabulary by enhancing the kindergarten and home literacy environment.